Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Update

It's Tuesday. Day #2 in the hospital. It's been a bit of a rough one. One of our patients died overnight, and I had to tell the mother of a 4 year old that he will likely not recover from his coma.

I have been in the ICU yesterday and today to get the hang of it. It's 5 beds, usually full. The patients are of wide variety . . . from the adult patients that I am used to with pneumonia and renal failure to surgical patients (one lady just had a left hemiglossectomy!) to children to neonates. (Yep, that's right, I'm learning to take care of a premature neonate today . . thankfully, there is a German Paediatrician here who gave me detailed instructions.) We can do ventilators and BIPAP/CPAP and dopamine. I am amazed at what we can do and the contrast with what we cannot. I am realizing how spoiled I am in the States by the support services. I tell someone what ventilator settings I want and they set it up for me. Here, though the nurses are very good, it usually helps if I know how the tubes connect, etc. Yeah, I got out the instruction manual. Tomorrow I will start helping out with one of the ward teams as well. The wards are much more chaotic, so I"m a bit anxious about that.

Emotionally, today was a little harder. I don't like telling mothers that their babies aren't going to make it. I don't like telling sons that their fathers aren't going to make it either, but there is something different about a 4 year old. I don't like telling 31 year olds with PCP vs. miliary TB that we're doing all we can, just hang in there and keep breathing. Oof.

One thing that is sweet here, is the definite presence of the LORD. Knowing that the chaplain is actually sharing the truth of Scripture and God's comfort with that mama is a huge difference.

Kijabe is beautiful. I can't wait to get out and explore a little more. Everything is green. The Rift Valley is amazing. I can see Mount Longonot (I think, I better check that) from my dining window. The people are beautiful here, too.

God has been caring for me here. He has given me sweet, unplanned times with some great families here around the station. I am so thankful. I am struggling some with being overwhelmed and lonely at times. It's a whole mix of emotions that I can't always sort out.

I want to share more, but I have to go check on something and then go to a Bible study with some of the residents.

Much love,
Nellie

4 comments:

Meg said...

Nellie, Thank you for sharing all of this!! I am loving hearing about all of your adventures and will continue to pray for you. It all sounds so exciting, and yet very hard at times. Blessings, my friend!

Rebecca said...

Nellie is! I'm so glad to see it. Glad to know these things. Praying for you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Nellie! I'm so glad to be in on your experiences. Hard stuff. Good stuff. I'll continue to pray for your time there and for God to be meeting you and providing wisdom and compassion beyond your training and capacity. And for Him to be your rest. Much love!

Dani said...

It is good to read your voice in your words. My heart goes out to you and the families you are working with. Thanks for keeping us up to date on what is going on. Much love to you!!!