Monday, May 21, 2007

The Curse of the Nairobi Eye

Sounds like a good mystery/adventure movie, doesn't it? Unfortunatetly, it's what's happening to my FACE right now!!! Ugh.

I'm sorry for the gap in posting. I have been quite ill, actually. I came down with high fevers and nausea on Wednesday night. I spent the night and all day Thursday sleeping at the Letchfords. Thought I was better and went back to work on Friday. However, in the wee hours of Saturday morning, I discovered that I was NOT better when I started vomiting every hour. Steve took me up to the hospital and we got some labs and everything looked okay, so I just continued to sleep and sometime yesterday (Sunday) I started to feel better. I'm back at work today and doing okay. I haven't been eating much because I am scared to, but I think I'm on the mend. (For those who will ask, yes, I am taking antibiotics and my malaria prophylaxis and my malaria smear was negative!)

Oh yeah, so, the Nairobi Eye. It's a bug. A terrible little bug. They've been quite rampant here lately because of the unusual amount of rain. They don't bite or sting, but you have to be careful not to "smush" them or they will burn and leave a scar on your skin. Apparently, during all that sleeping I did this weekend, one got to my face and I now have red marks all over and two of the spots really hurt!! Not fun.

The ICU is relatively quiet right now. We have two babies who are improving and I am so thankful for that. We have a young man who was attacked and sufferred traumatic amputation of his left arm resulting in so much blood loss (hemoglobin was 2.2 at an outsided hospital) that he had cardiac arrest and we suspect now has hypoxic brain injury from that. It is very sad.

Thank you all for your encouragement and prayers. Please pray for my continued recovery and that I will be able to be some relief to Steve who has had to work extra hard during my illness. Please pray for little baby Stephen in the ICU. He is improving, please pray that this continues and we can figure out why he has recurrent pneumonias. Please pray that I would sense the Lord near to me, that my heart would be drawn to His.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Nel, I'm so sorry that you've been sick! I will definitely pray that you continue to recover. Being sick like that is no fun at all. I pray that you sense God's presence and love for you each day. You're doing great work, keep it up, relying on Him, and knowing that He is the GREAT and GOOD Physician. Love you!

Casey McMillan said...

I am as well right now Nellie.

Casey McMillan said...

I am as well right now Nellie.