Thursday, May 24, 2007

So, It Seems I'm in Africa

Hello,

I felt like I should update the blog. I mean, not that I "should", I WANT to. Sometimes it's just hard for me to know what to write. Every day is challenging, but I don't always have an amazing story-worthy experience. All my patients have something about them that is special, but I don't know if it's always interesting to write about that. God is at work here in me (and at Kijabe) but, particularly in me it's quite a process in process, so I don't always have a neat, inspiring story. So, sometimes it's hard to know what to write.

I am weary and there are parts of me that long for home. But everyday, also, something happens that I know I wouldn't get to see or do if I were at home and so it reminds me that it is good to be here. Sometimes I forget that I am in Africa. I've become more accustomed to the background chatter of Swahili or Kikuyu, though, I still get frustrated when the translator and patient have a 5 minute discussion about that question I asked and then I get a one sentence translation. :) I've received some sweet compliments from a few people who tell me that I look/act as though I've lived in Kenya for a long time. That really meant a lot to me. For some reason, the wind at night always reminds me, if I've forgotten, that I'm in Africa. It is INCREDIBLY strong and blows outside my window every night. It's like the kindof wind that we have for a few minutes in the middle of a big storm in the South in the summer and you think there's going to be a tornado so you take the dog to the inner hallway. But this wind is in normal weather and it's every night and it's loud and whistly and wild and beautiful.

Other things that remind me that I'm in Africa are when I come home from work and there are people waiting in my front yard to sell me carvings or scarves or offer to make spring rolls for me or sell me strawberries. Patients not going to get CT scans because their family has to raise the money first, that, too, reminds me that I'm in Africa. Oh yeah, and having to figure out what to do with people coming to clinic with a bullet in their leg that they got three weeks ago in Somalia . . that reminds me that I'm in Africa.

I've enjoyed getting to know the ICU staff. They are teaching me a little Swahili and I try to give them a hard time in fun. The "Mama" of the ICU is the charge nurse, Blenche (pronounced "Blanche"). She is WONDERFUL. I laugh with her that I can always tell when she is giving someone a hard time on the phone . . .keeping them in line . . .because of the inflection of her voice and speed of her speech, even though I have no idea what she is saying. She may have given me my favorite compliment of all . . . "Nellie, you never take anything. Even at tea time you do not take anything. Your BMI is TOO LOW!!!!". (BMI = body mass index). I thought that was really funny. I assured her that my BMI was just fine, and that I had had a Sprite and chocolate bar for lunch, and so she felt better.

I have been thinking a lot during my time here about where life is going, what I'm doing, etc. Not exactly easy answers. Not many answers at all, really. But that's okay. I know Who to ask the questions to and sometimes I trust that He'll give the answers in time. Anyway, nothing really for exploring on this blog, just for those of you who may be inclined to pray, that's something.

I am going on Safari this weekend, and I am QUITE excited about it. I've ALWAYS WANTED to go on safari (pictures, not hunting, ahem) and now I really get to!! God has provided both in finances and in companions and I will get to go to The Masai Mara just as I had hoped. We will leave early Saturday morning and return on Monday evening. It will be so good to see other parts of Kenya and just to have a change of scene, too. Oh, I get a little shaky with excitement just thinking about it!!

I am on call tonight. Another matter for prayer :) And so I better get back to that.

Praise the Lord for the ongoing recovery of two precious babies in the ICU: Stephen and Duncan. Please pray for a young man (age 16) named Charles who came in tonight from an orphanage in Nakuru. He had a seizure 2 days ago and fell from his bed and sustained a subdural hematoma. He has midline shift of his brain tissue, but is remarkably asymptomatic right now. He will have it drained tomorrow. He is a really smart kid, doing well in school and very sweet. Please pray that all will go well and he will recover nicely. Please pray for families of two patients: Mary and Kaloki who both have advanced cancer and are having to make decisions about their palliative care.

And. I am in Africa.

SHOUT OUTS:
WES WHITESELL: The Tusker is this weekend! I'm doing it!

RACHEL MEEHAN: I saw a monkey on my walk to the super market on Monday. He was just running down the road and up a tree. I thought of you :)

SCOTT & MARCIA and ELI & MOLLY: Thank you so much for taking care of my little Phoebe!! (I hope she is behaving!) I have really been missing her. I was up at the school yesterday and someone had their black lab at the volleyball game. I tried to imagine what Phoebe would think of Africa.

GREGG & JEANNE JOHNSON: This place is calling out your name! There are so many reasons why you together would be a perfect fit for a visit to Kijabe. I will make my case when I return, and we will get you out here for a bit.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Nel. I love the update.

And, I will email you back so soon . . . I'm trying to get a block of time where I can respond in full depth.

Love you, my friend,
Bec

Anonymous said...

Nellie...I am at Gregg and Jeanne's having dinner and they showed me your website! It is so good to hear your stories. I will pray for you! I want to see pics too. God bless!

Dani said...

Good update. It is a blessing to read. Also, PLEASE be careful tis weekend, and don't get lost!! We have been watching that show Man Vs Wild on the discovery channel, and it is pretty scary stuff out there. Have fun.