Thursday, May 10, 2007

On Call

I'm on call tonight for my first night. I'm in charge. Or that's what they say. I'm finding it very challenging. I think I know medicine, but here I have to figure stuff out with minimal amount of testing and sometimes that's just not possible. I am really thankful for the resources we have in the states. Yes, healthcare is expensive, but at least, we know what we are treating most of the time. I'm learning to be creative, which is not a natural strength of my brain. We'll see. I'm having to learn about stuff like cerebral malaria and amebiasis and abdominal TB and stuff that we just don't see in the U.S. I feel so slow because I have to stop and read about many things. Not to mention the different drugs. I'm always asking the nurses what stuff is for. Thankfully, my bag came tonight (broken, but everything still there - WAHOOOO!) and in it, is one of my trusty drug references, so maybe that will help a wee bit.

Anyway, it has been an interesting day/night so far. Trying to figure out whether a guy has a pulmonary embolism with no imaging other than a chest xray, being stalked in the computer room by a psychotic patient singing "I'm a Soldier in the Army of the Lord" and insisting that he wants "to marry a Chinese girl", and learning how to put traction on a femur.

Since I was coming back up here to look some stuff up anyway, I thought I'd bring my camera and try to post some photos. I haven't really taken very many just yet . .. trying to get used to the place . . but just to get you started and make the blog more interesting than just brown words . . . .

Welp. It's not working. Sorry guys. I'll try again some other time.

Now, I'm going to try to catch some sleep.

Much love,
Nel

SHOUT OUT:
REBECCA: I forgot my torch, so I've borrowed one from the neighbor so I can see my path in the dark. Every morning about 10 AM the ICU staff asks me, "Will you take tea? We give our patients i.v. fluids of normal salIne (long I). It's a British wonderland. There is also a British doctor here named Charles Besley. Doesn't that even sound so delightfully British? He's my favorite. Oh and his wife's name is Jackie . . . she says it Jackehy . . . you know. . . British.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you - and I will be extremely proud of me if I can get this blog to accept my comment Love, Mom

nwhitesell said...

Nellie,
Just caught up on all your blogs tonight. They made me laugh and also tear up a bit...

I'm so glad you're seeing what you are seeing, although I know it's hard. And I have seen Mt. Longonot (sp) from our house that we stayed in as well. We stayed in a red house. I wonder if it's the same one?

Hey, I'm going to Paris in three weeks. Amazing story. So, I'll be a little closer to where you are. ;)

We prayed for you in CG tonight. You are missed.

Love,
Nat

Anonymous said...

Promise me you'll drink a tall bottle of Tusker under an African sky!!! - w/e/s

Rebecca said...

I GOT A SHOUTOUT!!! My day is made :)

The really funny thing is that last night I was hanging out with some folks in a small group up here, and I told my new friend Martha that you were in Kenya. And she said, "Oh, is she in Kijabe? I helped paint the mural in the hospital there." Seriously. Small. World. (She told me to tell you that if you see the mural, you should know that she painted the eskimo, but definitely did NOT paint the purple Noah's-arc.)

Nellie said...

Bec, Wow! How fun! Yes, I know the mural, I think it's downstairs in Pediatrics. I will look for the eskimo and note that Martha did not paint the noah's arc. Good to know.

Nellie said...

Nat, my house has a red roof, but it's kindof gray stone. I'm down in the lower part right below the hospital. I went up towards the school today and it was really pretty; I was a little jealous of the school people :)

Wes, I REALLY WANT TO.

Mom, good job on the comment :)